CHEM 3650 Biochemistry/Lab
(OS) Halmos Coll of Nat Sci & Ocn
(OCHP) OS - Chemistry and Physics
The chemical properties of amino acids, monosaccharides, lipids and nucleotides are discussed. The structure of proteins, carbohydrates and biological membranes are studied. Mechanisms of enzymatic catalysis are outlined in detail with an emphasis on the structure/function of cofactors. Glycolysis and citric acid cycle are described. Electron transport and ATP synthesis are discussed in both mitochondria and chloroplasts. Metabolism of lipids, amino acids and nucleotides are presented. In addition to mechanistic studies of biochemical pathways and cycles, regulation of these processes is also covered. Prerequisites: BIOL 1500 and CHEM 2200 or CHEM 2410 or CHEM 2410H. Frequency: Every Fall and Winter. (Description Last Updated: Summer I 2016 (201650))
- Discuss the key molecular reactions involving the mechanistic studies of biochemical pathways and processes.
- Develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking and analytical reasoning in the field of biochemistry.
- Demonstrate proper procedures for handling chemicals and utilizing instrumentation used in biochemistry.
- Develop skills to carry out biochemical protocols, collect and analyze the data.
- Critically assess a biochemistry topic by reading relevant current research articles found and accessed through electronic scientific databases.
|Current Course Offerings|
|No courses currently scheduled|
|Future Course Offerings (Subject To Change)|
|201820||20166||08/22 - 12/05/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Razeghifard, Reza|
|201820||20167||08/22 - 12/05/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Razeghifard, Reza|
|201820||20168||08/21 - 12/05/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Chen, Ketian|
|201820||20169||08/21 - 12/05/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Chen, Ketian|
|201820||20170||08/22 - 12/05/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Rizvi, Syed|
|201820||20172||08/21 - 12/04/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Chen, Ketian|
|201820||20173||08/21 - 12/04/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Chen, Ketian|
Page Update August 20, 2017 03:09 PM