BIOL 2600 Medical Terminology
(OS) Halmos Coll of Nat Sci & Ocn
(OBIS) OS - Biological Sciences
This course covers the basic structure of medical terms, including roots, prefixes, and suffixes. Emphasis will also be placed on the terminology of body systems. Medical terms related to anatomy, physiology, pathology, clinical procedures, laboratory tests, and medical abbreviations will be covered. Also, students will learn medical terminology related to specialized areas of medicine such as cancer medicines, nuclear medicines, radiology/radiotherapy, pharmacology, and psychiatry. Prerequisites: BIOL 1080, BIOL 1100, BIOL 1400, BIOL 1500, or BIOL 1510 or BIOL 1510H. Frequency: Every Fall and Winter. (Description Last Updated: Summer I 2016 (201650))
- Analyze numerous medical terms and have a solid foundation on which to build a larger vocabulary.
- Recognize medical terms and understand the context in which that word will be applied for all human body systems.
- Build medical terms given the definitions of the term.
- Accurately pronounce medical terms by reading medical terms and documents in class.
- Demonstrate the ability to clearly communicate medical terminology concepts using both verbal and written forms of communication.
- Create a professional pamphlet using graphics that conveys information to a layperson.
- Perform an interview of a health care professional in order to demonstrate the ability to communicate medical terminology at the professional level.
- Produce a professional medical document such as a discharge summary to develop problem solving skills.
|Current Course Offerings|
|201730||31557||01/09 - 05/03/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Harkas, Maryam|
|201730||31558||01/09 - 05/05/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Jaffe, Mark|
|201730||31559||01/10 - 05/02/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Saleem, Mir|
|201730||31560||01/09 - 05/07/2017||On-line Course||Saleem, Mir|
|201730||31561||01/09 - 05/07/2017||On-line Course||Fortino, Veronica|
|201730||35486||01/09 - 05/07/2017||On-line Course||Harkas, Maryam|
|Future Course Offerings (Subject To Change)|
|201750||50834||05/08 - 07/29/2017||On-line Course||Saleem, Mir|
Page Update April 29, 2017 05:34 PM