BIOL 1500 Biology I/Lab
(OS) Halmos Coll of Nat Sci & Ocn
(OBIS) OS - Biological Sciences
An introduction to the biological sciences for students interested in pursuing a career in this area. Includes subcellular and cellular organization, structures/function, biochemistry, classical/molecular genetics, and population dynamics - all arranged around evolution as a major theme. Includes laboratory sessions. Prerequisites: MATH 1040 or higher and COMP 1000 or higher. Frequency: Every Fall and Winter. (Description Last Updated: Summer I 2016 (201650))
- Demonstrate an understanding of the chemical foundations and molecular diversity of living organisms and how these components are used to coordinate cellular activities.
- Describe the structures and functions of prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells.
- Explain the complex metabolic pathways involved in energy acquisition and utilization, as well as, coordination of cellular activities.
- Demonstrate a familiarity with the mechanisms of inheritance, genetic disorders, gene expression, as well as, the use of and recent developments in biotechnology.
- Produce scholarly laboratory reports, which demonstrate an understanding of the scientific method and basic statistical analyses, as well as, the ability to read and interpret data.
- Demonstrate knowledge of ethical, historical, and contemporary issues related to life science at the cellular and molecular levels.
|Current Course Offerings|
|201730||31524||01/10 - 05/02/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||D'Alessio, Naomi|
|201730||31527||01/10 - 05/02/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||D'Alessio, Naomi|
|201730||31529||01/09 - 05/03/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Crump, Katie|
|201730||31532||01/09 - 05/03/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Crump, Katie|
|201730||31535||01/09 - 05/03/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Hauer, Gwen|
|201730||31537||01/10 - 05/02/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Flora, Megan|
|Future Course Offerings (Subject To Change)|
|201750||50837||05/09 - 07/27/2017||Ft Lauderdale/Davie Campus||Crump, Katie|
Page Update March 25, 2017 11:40 AM