Farquhar Writing Contest
The Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences invites NSU undergraduate students of all disciplines to submit their own essay to the Annual Farquhar Writing Contest.
To participate, submit a 3–5 page personal essay that addresses the following prompt:
The college's 2012–2013 academic theme, Life and Death, “explores how we discuss and define life and death and how our cultural expectations and beliefs regarding the human life cycle inform all of our experiences."
How have cultural beliefs regarding the human life cycle and/or death informed your life experiences?
- Do NOT include your name on the essay. This contest uses blind judging.
- Essays must be double-spaced, 1" margins all around, 12-point font, with the essay's title on the first page, and page numbers on every page (footer or header).
- Essays must be no more than five pages.
- Complete the writing contest submission form, save it, and email it as an attachment—with your essay—to email@example.com.
- Submission Deadline: Monday, April 1, 2013, 5:00 p.m.
The judges are looking for essays that
- successfully illustrate how the student has changed or been affected by the college’s theme of Life and Death
- provide specific examples
- are logically organized, well developed, grammatically correct
- fully address the prompt
- meet the submission criteria
- 1st Place: certificate and $100 gift card
- 2nd Place: certificate and $50 gift card
- 3rd Place: certificate and $25 gift card
Winners will be announced on this Web page and in The Current student newspaper, as well as honored at the Farquhar Writing Contest Reception (date TBA), hosted by the college.
For More Information