The Ecology of the Galapagos Islands
This field course provides direct experience with principles of evolutionary ecology that were introduced in MBIO 4260 in the unique setting of the Galapagos Islands. The course includes visits to the Charles Darwin Research Station and several sites in the Galapagos National Park on the island of Santa Cruz as well as additional experiences on other islands of the archipelago. (Prerequisite: MBIO 4260)
MBIO 4261—The Ecology of the Galapagos Islands Field Trip (1 credit)
See CourseWizard for course syllabus
Instructor: Joshua Feingold, Ph.D., Associate Professor
Contact Information: email@example.com | (954) 262-8307 | Parker Building, Room 221
If you choose to enroll in this course, please follow these directions:
- Complete an application and the Release of Liability Form.
Make sure your full name is as it appears on your passport. If there is a discrepancy, you will NOT be permitted on the plane.
- Make copies of the application and the Release of Liability Form.
- Submit one copy to your instructor (if enrolling in both courses, submit one copy to each instructor).
- Submit one copy to the Office of the Dean in the Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences with your deposit.
- Keep one copy for your records.
- Register for your class(es) with your academic advisor during open registration.
- Submit final payment to the Office of the Dean in the Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences.
Travel from Miami to Quito, Ecuador (MIA—UIO)
Travel from Quito to Pto Baquerizo Moreno, Isla San Cristobal (UIO—SCY)
Orientation at the interpretation center, snorkeling at Frigate Bird Hill
Snorkeling at Kicker Rock and Isla Lobos
Highlands Tour: El Progreso, El Junco, and Cerro Colorado
Travel to Floreana; visit the highlands and pirate caves
Snorkeling at La Loberia or La Botella; travel to Puerto Vilamil, Isla Isabela
La Tintoreras and snorkeling, visit tortoise rearing center and salt lagoons
Wall of Tears, snorkeling at Concha y Perla lagoon
Travel to Puerto Ayora, Isla Santa Cruz, visit Charles Darwin Research Station
Highlands Tour: Media Luna and Cerro Crocker
Day trip to Bartholome
Depart Galapagos, Isla Santa Cruz - Quito (BAL—UIO)
Fly from Quito back to Miami (UIO—MIA)
- hotel accommodations
- some meals
- local transportation while in Quito and the Galapagos Islands
- chartered boat
- entrance fees
- snacks and beverages
- personal items, incidentals
- some meals
Travel study trips often require strenuous activity that may be difficult for some students. In many destinations, special accommodations are not available. If you may require special accommodations to participate in a travel study trip, please speak with the respective faculty member to determine whether or not you should enroll in this class.