Admissions—M.A. in Writing Program
Students with bachelor's degrees in any academic area can be considered for admission to the Master of Arts in Writing degree program. Candidates for admission are individually reviewed by a faculty committee, as NSU considers each applicant in terms of his or her potential for success in the program.
Required application materials include:
- completed online application for the M.A. in Writing program
- $50 nonrefundable application fee (due at time of application)
- transcripts from all previously attended higher-education institutions
- official GRE report
- personal statement of approximately 500 words on the applicant’s objectives in applying to the program
- three letters of recommendation on official letterhead from professionals who can speak to the applicant’s academic and/or writing accomplishments (e.g., professors, supervisors)
- 20–25 page writing portfolio—a selection of the applicant’s original academic papers, professional work-related writing, creative writing, and/or nonfiction prose
- For non-native English speakers and graduates of foreign institutions (where English is not the primary language of instruction): Demonstrate English-language proficiency by submitting documentation of one of the following: successful completion of a degree at an approved U.S. institution of higher education where English is the primary language of instruction; Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) official score of at least 213 on the computerized test, at least 550 on the paper test format, or at least 79 on the Internet format; official IELTS score of at least 6.0; or a grade of 54 or higher on the Pearson test of English Academic (PTE).
Preferred admission qualifications include:
- undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- GRE verbal and quantitative combined score of 300 or higher
- writing portfolio that showcases the applicant’s abilities in producing academic papers, professional work-related writing, creative writing, and/or nonfiction prose
Nova Southeastern University welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and attempts to make the admissions process as simple as possible. Admission is on a "rolling" basis. After all required documents have been received, an admissions decision will be made within two weeks, and applicants will be notified of their admissions status.
Applicants must complete and submit an admissions application and a $50 nonrefundable application fee. Official transcripts are required from each previously attended institution.
- Complete the application online via WebSTAR
- Download Transcript Request Form
- Submit all application materials to:
Nova Southeastern University
Enrollment Processing Services (EPS)
Attn: Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences
3301 College Avenue
P.O. Box 299000
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33329-9905
For More Information
Admissions Information: Isabelle De Castro, M.B.A.
Graduate Program Enrollment Coordinator
Writing Program Information: Shanti Bruce, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Coordinator of Writing Program